Monday, May 4, 2009

Silence... what's this?

For two years I have never been away from my little man for longer than a night or two. The only exception was for a big event that I did for work last year in New York and that was 4 days, until yesterday. Yesterday, the wee man went on an adventure. He happily got into Opa (grandpa) and Oma's (grandma) truck and headed to the beautiful mountains of West (by God) Virginia. He will be gone for SEVEN whole nights.

As I sit here in the quiet of my kitchen, I am amazed at how quiet and serene it is. Truthfully, it's quite unnerving. I keep looking and listening for the stomping of little feet and the insistent "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" that usually follows. I woke up this morning not to "Mommy... up", but instead to the sound of my dear husband's light snoring and one of our cats howling for his breakfast. Other parents often told us that you learn to tune out the sounds of a child. I totally agree. But when you are faced with silence, it's weird, very weird!

I miss my little man. He's not a snuggler, so I love it when he lets me snuggle. I sat on the couch yesterday and vegged out all day. In the back of my mind I kept wondering when C was going to wake up from his nap. I then had to keep reminding myself that he wasn't here and I should relax. And I did relax!

I know he's having fun and will really enjoy hanging out with Oma and Opa. He's got a whole week of Camp Grandma/Grandpa ahead of him. It's good for him and it's good for us too. Thank you Oma and Opa!

And yes, I will sleep in, go to the movies, go to a concert, go to happy hour and generally socialize like I normally don't get to on week nights :).

No comments: